Wydawnictwo medyczne Cornetis

Medical publisher

+48 71/ 792 80 77 sekretariat@cornetis.pl

Offer for publishers - CORPRESS SYSTEM

Articles

Title: Paget's cancer of the breast in women - neoplasm extensiveness and the mode of treatment

Author:
Janusz Piekarski, Arkadiusz Jeziorski
Language:
PL
Journal:
Polish Oncology
Year:
2000
Volume:
3
Number:
3
Start page:
123
Final page:
127
ISSN:
1505-6732
Keywords:
Paget's disease, breast conserving therapy
Read

Background: Pagefs disease of the breast is an uncommon manifestation of ductal cancer. Although the first description of the disease was presented over 125 years ago, its treatment is still controversial. Objectives: To evaluate the extensiveness of the breast cancer in women with Pagefs disease treated in Clinical Department of Surgical Oncology, Medical UniversityofŁódź.Topro-pose the treatment modę, depending on the extensiveness of the cancer. Materiał and methods: From 1.01.1977 to 31.03.2000 in Clinical Department of Surgical Oncology, 3862 patients were operated for breast cancer. In 42 (1.1%) of them Pagefs disease of the nipple was recognised. Clinical and histopathological data were obtained retro-spectively form the charts of 37 patients. Results: Histopathology revealed that breast cancer was located only centrally (nipple, areola and retroareolar tissue) in 26 patients (26/37; 70.3%). In 11 patients (11/37; 29.7%) associa-ted foci of cancer were found in the breast tissue outside the nipple-areola complex and retroareolar region. In 16 patients (43.2%) intraductal cancer was recognised. In the remaining 21 patients (56.8%), histopathology revealed also the presence of invasive ductal cancer. Conclusions: In 70.3% of patients, cancer was exclusively centrally located. In 29.7% of patients associated foci of cancer were found in the breast tissue. In patients in whom cancer is exclusively centrally located, breast conserving therapy is to be taken under consideration.